Pages

“What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don’t let fear of failure discourage you.”
― Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Monday, March 21, 2011

Maternity Skirts

I always get to the point where I am tired of wearing the same clothes all the time.  Maternity clothes are so short lived and so I never really want a huge variety.  I decided to make a few skirts with the intention of changing the waistband to be non-maternity whenever that applies. 

The one on the left is a knit Marimekko fabric I found at a local store a few years ago.  I bought it without a purpose in mind, so it's good to finally de-stash.  The fabric on the right is a Kaffe Fassett that my mom sent a while ago.  I still have a lot left over, so it could become dresses for the girls or a quilt back, who know.  Nate thought it looked nice and springy.  I just guessed on the panel sizes.  I used some white lycra two way stretch fabric.  They both should last the remainder of this pregnancy, then I can take off the maternity waistbands and add a regular one.  However, not being too naive about these things, I know it could be months before I do that and months before they would fit.  Both skirts are mid-calf in length, so I have a lot to play with there if I need it.  And they went together so fast, I love my serger for clothes, so fast and easy.

3 comments:

Jessica Christensen said...

Look at you making clothes for yourself. I just can't get motivated to do that. I'm impressed that you just whipped those out. Hang in there, pregnant lady!

Grandma Goo said...

Cute skirts Jill, They look so springy in color and hope they bring some nicer weather! The sun did shine here today, wasn't in the forecast to do that, so that was a nice surprise! Love mom

Marsha said...

Those are perfect, Jill. I love skirts anyway for pregnancies. You will be ready to take that band out the last month unless you haven't gained much weight. I used to gain so much weight and then lose it all but the last 10 lbs. I forgot how skinny I was. You are so clever with sewing and I love to see everything you desing.