With the weather warming up, the kids needed some new pajamas. I keep checking on them at night and finding them all sweaty in flannel and polar fleece. So last Friday I pulled out some stash fabric and went to work. Jack got two pairs because he has less jammies over all. The girls love to match and love the sea friends fabric. I really like making lots of pairs at once, it seems to go faster. One thing I do when I make them clothes at home is make sure and put a fabric tag in the back. This way they know, and their dad knows, which way is which. Just take two scraps of fabric and cut into little squares. Stitch the squares on three sides right sides together. Then turn them right side out. Put then unfinished edge in the waistband while when you sew it. I used to stitch the size on the tags, but the kids wear these until they are unwearable, so I don't worry about it any more.
I am so happy with how this quilt turned out. I did some things that I haven't before. I had originally planned on adding boarders. But when I put everything together it was 62 x 88, so boarders would have made it way too big for the twin bed it is covering. Then without the boarders, I ended up quilting edge to edge with the same design.
I did a meandering stars design that I really love how it turned out. I had an extra star block, so I incorporated it onto the pieced back. I used scraps for the rest. So overall, I didn't have too much left over from this endeavor, which is not a bad thing.
So, I am not great at doing quilt-a-longs. I really had to be patient in doing the blocks each week instead of all at once. I suppose Jess and I kind of threw in the towel on that one anyway. I do better doing stuff all at once overall. Not saying I'm not up for another, it's good to learn new skills and patience.
As soon as I saw this pattern I wanted to try it. I love the movement and the many possibilities that come along with it. So when commissioned to come up with a baby quilt, I knew exactly what I wanted to go for. The pattern wasn't too difficult to draft. I did have more trimming and squaring up than I anticipated, but I love the way it turned out.
I stippled with white thread from edge to edge. I am going to do this pattern again and again I am sure.
I have pieced the top of the star quilt-a-long quilt. Now I am getting the back put together. I am really pushing it right to the wire. I have six days before Jack's birthday-wish me luck!