My daughter wanted a Minnie Mouse party for her third birthday. So I got together all my red, white, black, and yellow scraps and made her this skirt. It is out of Sandi Henderson's book, Sewing Bits and Pieces.
There are so many projects in this book I want to try. I really want to make the cute little slippers. I have so many scraps and really need to use up some of them.
Anyway-here is the skirt on the girl.
It is very full and twirly, which she loves. If I make it again, I may make each tier a bit longer. The fullness doesn't translate in to greater length, which would be nice. But overall the instructions were very easy to follow and the skirt went together really quickly. I do have a serger and I think not having one would make everything go so much slower, it was easy to serge a rolled hem on all those ruffles. If I had to do a quarter inch one though, it would have more than doubled my time.
I didn't make this quilt. But it's based on the first of the Old Red Barn Quilt-a-Longs. My mom made it and brought it to me to quilt. I used a lime green and stippled all over it. I think she is going to bind it in black. There is a ragged edge butterfly appliqued on the lime green floral back. I don't know what her plans are with the quilt, but I think it will turn out great!
When we moved into this house, I decided to use the front room as my sewing room. I have little kids, and this room is situated so I can hear them and know where they are while I am sewing. It has worked out really well thus far. We bought this big white cabinet from Home Depot when we moved in to keep all my fabric in. As you can see, it is full, I need to get sewing. The top shelf is the hardest for me to keep organized. I think the fleece is the main culprit, and I need to find some more bins that are the medium size. I love being able to open this cabinet and find most anything I need. But it's kind of crazy how full it is and how much I can fit in it. I reorganize it regularly, just to remind myself of what it in there.
I got the backing for this quilt a while ago. It is a Prints Charming print. I love the scale and colors they use. I knew the piece needed to be a backing, just because of the scale alone. So I found some Kona Solids and matched them up to make the top. I used three and a half inch squares for the center squares. I really love how this one turned out. I quilted it diagonally across for the quilting. It now resides with a snuggly baby.
Projects ready to go. I already have the binding made, so as soon as these babies are quilted, I will be ready to finish them up. I am planning on stippling the top one, it is Blush by Moda. The second one is Fandango by Moda and I want to do a lazy daisy pattern all over it. The bottom on is Kona Solids with a Prints Charming print on the back. I am going to do some straight line quilting on that one. They are all baby sized quilts.
I finished the Hexagon quilt and now it is with its new owner! It was intended to be 51"x54". She wanted it a little bigger, so I kept adding rows so long as I had fabric. The final size was over 80"x84"!
I had to make Nate hold it up to get a picture. He was okay so long as I didn't get him in the picture. This quilt was really fun to make. I tried out some new techniques and had to really keep track of where everything went. The print on the back was so fun! The flowers were huge!
It is an Alexander Henry print, the border on the front is as well. I used fabrics from Botany, Timber,Sugar, Brooklyn Heights, Spa, Modern Meadow and a few others. I also added a bit of Amy Butler's Gypsy Caravan from my stash. I love being able to pull from the stash when I can't find stuff that works from anywhere else. I stippled the quilt with a lime green in the middle, then variegated brown on the edges. I really loved the effect. I can't wait to do another hex quilt! It's scrappy and ordered at the same time. There is a lot of visual interest because of all the different prints, but all the points match and come together.